2013 is announcing to be a year full of international events that need to be examined carefully and thoroughly, and for us in the ASAGRI Association and the Editorial Board of Geopolitics.ro, 2013 comes with a change of strategy, including the name and the website.
In the fall of 2010, when we established the ASAGRI Association, we designed a strategy for several years involving the promotion of Geopolitics field among young people in Romania through the geopolitics.ro website, the conferences and debates on International Relations topics and GEOPOLITICS Summer School. We tried not to set targets too high in order to not be disappointed that we have not met them, especially since we started from scratch, without having any resources or support from any university or organization. Outside the Association, there was little trust that these objectives will be met.
So we simply called ourselves ASAGRI, The Association of Students and Graduates in Geopolitics and International Relations, and we started to work, trying to achieve our proposed objectives.
In November 2012 we took a little break and we looked at what we have achieved in the two years since the association exists and is active. The time for reflection came with the launch of “Geopolitical Evolutions of The Islamic Space”, the volume that brings together the studies written by the participants of Geopolitics Summer School 2012. It was then when we realized that we went beyond the objectives that we’ve set up two years ago, because the launch of the book made the summer school to be what some might call a think tank through the ideas and analyses presented in those studies.
What we have achieved in our two years of existence:
– A geopolitical analysis website with over 3,000 unique visitors per month and over 260 articles and geopolitical analysis published (the Geopolitics.ro website – Romanian version);
– A community of over 2100 people who appreciate the geopolitical analysis and articles published; (Geopolitics.ro Facebook page);
– 11 events, conferences and debates organized to which were invited prestigious personalities in the field of International Relations and Geopolitics, including: Mr. Mircea Malița; His Excellency, Mr. Ambassador Dumitru Preda; Mr. Niels Schnecker; Mr. Alex Brown; Mr. Nicholas Garland; His Excellency Mr. Prof. Dr. Aminian Bahador, the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Ambassador to Bucharest; Mr. Vasile Simileanu; Mr. Cornelius Van; Mrs. Gabriela Ioniță.;
– two editions of GEOPOLITICS Summer School, which was attended by over 60 young people in total and prestigious personalities such as Mr. Tahsin Gemil, Mrs. Dona Tudor, Mr. Mircea Chelaru, Mr. Gheorghe Văduva, Mr. Nicolae Iordan Constantinescu, Mr. Cristian Barna, Mr. Romulus Hîldan, Mr. Ștefan Georgescu, Mr. Ion Petrescu, Mrs. Sevinci Gemaledin, Mr. Cristian Jura, Mr. Vasile Ionescu, Mr. Viorel Zaharia and many others.
– The editing and publication of “Geopolitical Evolutions of The Islamic Space” volume (only in Romanian), which brings together the studies written by the participants of GEOPOLITICS Summer School.
All these and the fact that our goals had already been achieved made us think of a new strategy for the coming years. We realized that in order to develop the Organization, we must set higher objectives.
Therefore, we considered it appropriate to change the name of the organization. We’ll still be ASAGRI, but from now on this acronym will mean The Association of Strategic Analysis, Geopolitical Analysis and International Relations. (Asociația de Analize Strategice, Analize Geopolitice și Relații Internaționale – in Romanian).
This is an important step for us, involving a lot of work over the length of at least 5-6 years to accomplish what we have proposed.
We also considered it appropriate to change our website, from the way it looks to the platform in the back, for a more efficient way of navigating the site and an overall improved experience for our readers. Both the Romanian and the English website have been changed.
For 2013, one of our most important goals is to develop the English.geopolitics.ro website. You will find here analysis and articles about the major Geopolitical and International Relations issues, written from a Romanian and European perspective. We hope that you will find these interesting and useful, and you will support our growth in the years to come, through constructive comments, by joining our Facebook community page, and subscribing to our weekly newsletter.
We wish you a Happy New Year!